The primary job function is to transcribe psychiatric evaluations and psychiatric medication reviews from recorded notes dictated by Psychiatrists into readable medical records. This varied, complex, and responsible clerical work is based on considerable knowledge of medical terminology. This position involves managing, coordinating, and organizing these documentations. This position involves working as a part of a Team. Work requires considerable initiative and judgment and is performed within established procedures and under minimum supervision. This position is not responsible for direct supervision of staff.
ESSENTIAL POSITION FUNCTIONS (Listing Position-Specific Functions First):
- Transcription of Psychiatric Progress Notes and Psychiatric Evaluations for all employed and contracted Psychiatrists.
- Must have a good understanding of evaluation, management, billing codes to accurately complete all required fields on the SAL.
- Must possess knowledge of third party and Medicaid billing expectations in order to minimize financial risk for the agency.
- Maintain an in-depth knowledge of HIPAA compliance laws and regulations. This position is expected to demonstrate moderate discretion in interpreting these laws and regulations
- Effectively and efficiently coordinate care between primary care physicians, other behavioral health providers, and Northern Lakes staff.
- Collaborate with Psychiatrists, Med Clinic staff, and IT Department regarding revisions/streamlining transcription process, while promoting efficiency and compliance with EHR requirements.
- Serve as the safety net for Psychiatrists in relation to billing and meeting compliance standards. This will require a significant amount of effective communication with agency medical staff.
- Plan and organize workflow. This includes coordinating with the compliance officer to ensure authorizations are available for the service.
- Respond to questions regarding transcription processes and exchange information relating to the documentation of psychiatric notes.
- This position requires planning and complex monitoring to ensure compliance of medical record regulations including the tracking of incomplete or missing dictations for Psychiatrists. This will require extensive knowledge of technical support tools such as Excel.
- Provide back-up coverage for clerical support systems, triage calls, and assist consumers as needed and scheduled.
- Responsible for providing training to employed and contracted transcriptionists.
- Assist in instructing (or training) contracted transcriptionists.
- Serve as the liaison to contracted transcriptionists in relation to agency transcription practices.
- Responsible for maintaining subsidiary records and preparing reports for the Medical Director.
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
A degree or certification in Medical Transcription is required or at least 2-5 years of transcription experience.
At least two (2) years of experience in secretarial and general office clerical work; or any equivalent combination of training and experience that would provide the knowledge, ability, and skill to meet the requirements listed herein will be considered.
LICENSING or CERTIFICATIONS:
Must have formal education or be certified in Medical Transcription.