In October, attendees of the Learning Communities had the opportunity to make positive thought affirmations on index cards. Art supplies were provided and people had fun making cards to use themselves or give to others for support. Some positive affirmations that people can draw on for strength at anytime during the day or night are:
- I can change the way I feel by changing my thoughts, ideas, and attitudes.
- Deep breathing relaxes me.
- Using the coping skills will help me.
- I have a deep inner sense of energy, self-confidence, well-being, and peace.
- The nature of flowers is to bloom. (Alice Walker)
- When we see how funny we are, we see how dear we are. (Anne Wilson Schaef)
Millions of people have difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep. Here is a sample of the helpful hints covered at our October gathering:
- For several hours before bedtime, avoid alcohol; beverages with caffeine; chocolate; heavy, sticky, sugary or sugar-filled foods; and smoking. They can affect your ability to fall asleep or enjoy deep sleep.
- Regular exercise, particularly in the afternoon, can help deepen sleep. However, strenuous exercise right before sleep may prevent you from falling asleep.
- Restrict fluids right before bed.
- Try to establish a schedule when you go to sleep and get up at the same times everyday. This will put your body into a good “sleep-wake rhythm.”