We are so very pleased to learn that Michigan Protection & Advocacy Service, Inc. has renamed its annual essay contest to honor an outstanding disability rights advocate, Ernie Reynolds, who passed away in 2012.
Ernie was an outstanding disability rights advocate, one of the first Certified Peer Support Specialists in Michigan, a board member at MPAS, a member of the state Recovery Council and the state Anti-Stigma workgroup (among lots of other things!), and a great friend of our organization. He was and remains a large part of who we are.
Here are the details:
Michigan Protection & Advocacy Service (MPAS) is looking for real, motivating stories about people with disabilities who have successfully advocated for themselves or others. In 500 words or less, describe how you overcame barriers and achieved success.
- First Prize: $300
- Second Prize: $200
- Third Prize: $100
Entries are to be submitted no later than January 6, 2014, and will be judged on:
- Content and appeal of the advocacy story
- Impact the story has had on the life of the individual or the lives of other people who have disabilities
- Impact the story has had on the priorities within Michigan Protection & Advocacy Service.
- Entries are limited to 500 words or less and can be submitted in writing or audio tape via regular mail.
- Entries will be judged by the MPAS Essay Contest Committee.
- Late entries will not be considered.
- Employees of MPAS, volunteers, board members and members of MPAS Advisory Council and their immediate families are not eligible to win.
- All entries become the property of MPAS and will not be returned to the author.
- Entries, in part or in total, may be used by MPAS in publications.
- Actual names will be used ONLY with written permission from the individual. Prizes will be awarded to the person about whom the story is written, and not the author (if different).
- Winners will be notified by phone. Winners will also be honored at MPAS’ annual legislative event at the Capitol in February.
You may submit your entry via fax at 517-487-0827. Be sure to include your name, address, phone number and email address so we can contact you if you are a winner. Those wishing to mail their entry may do so to:
MPAS Essay Contest
4095 Legacy Parkway, Suite 500
Lansing, MI 48911-4264
“If I can help just one person, it has been a good day.” -Ernie Reynolds