Persons in this position demonstrate a belief in Youth Guided Family Driven Care and a Culture of Gentleness. Responsible for ensuring family support and training, continuity of services, coordination of supports and services, case management functions of assessment, planning, linking, monitoring and advocacy. The Child and Family Specialist is an advocate and service broker for the child and family, a resource to treatment staff, and provides parent education and family training using agency endorsed Evidence Based Practice (EBP). Participates in NLCMHA’s multi-system team that addresses needs of children with IDD/ASD and those dually diagnosed. Works closely with SOC community partners, ISD/Schools, Health Care, Family Court and DHHS. The Child and Family Specialist reports to the Child and Family Supervisor as assigned.
ESSENTIAL POSITION FUNCTIONS (listing Position Specific functions first):
- Demonstrate commitment to fulfilling duties within a System of Care for Children with SED and their families and Children with DD and their families and collaborates closely with the SOC partners: Family, DHS, Family Court, Healthcare Providers, and ISD/Schools.
- Conduct comprehensive, quality assessments of both children and families.
- Develop comprehensive Youth Guided Family Driven Individual Plan of Service (IPOS)
- Ensure children receive services identified in IPOS.
- Coordinate services for children who are psychiatrically hospitalized.
- Coordinate and collaborate with NLCMHA team and with primary health care provider.
- Coordinate Person-Centered Planning. In doing so, attend to the total spectrum of the individual’s needs, including but not necessarily limited to, housing, family relationship, social activities, education, finance, employment, health, recreation, mobility, protective services and records.
- Collaborate with children and families (and staff) assessing their needs, developing treatment goals, objectives, methodologies, timelines, and evaluating progress toward goals.
- Locate, obtain, and coordinate services outside and inside the CMH system as indicated by the individual treatment plan.
- Provide Family Training using NLCMHA endorsed EBPs.
- Provide Direct Prevention Parent Education using NLCMHA endorsed EBPs.
- Implement Behavioral Plans and ASD Established Interventions as determined by the assessment and planning process.
- Provide supportive services to the consumer and his/her family.
- Provide crisis intervention services when appropriate.
- Intervene when necessary to assure implementation of the plan.
- Facilitate interdisciplinary team evaluation and review for assigned consumers, as indicated.
- Conduct orientation and annual psychosocial assessment of individual consumer needs.
- Evaluate, facilitates and monitors services and consumers progress in relationship to established goals and objectives in the IPOS.
- Provide Youth Transition Planning and Services.
- Establish and maintain an effective liaison between NLCMHA and outside providers, particularly Health Care and Schools.
- Participates in Quality Assurance case review procedures, including consumer satisfaction.
- Maintain current knowledge of mental health symptomotology, intervention and treatment strategies.
- Facilitate consumer’s benefits (e.g. SSI, Medicaid, SSB, and Medicare).
- Review and coordinate with team and provider on decisions involving hospitalization, respite and/or transfers/level of care changes.
- Implement plan of action.
- Complete all documentation according to policy and unit guidelines
MINIMUM EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work from a university with an accredited Social Work program Masters degree in social work, psychology or counseling considered. Must Meet Child Mental Health Professional and Qualified Mental Retardation Professional eligibility criteria.
LICENSING or CERTIFICATIONS:
Must have licensure with the State of Michigan as a Licensed Bachelors Social Worker, Limited Licensed Bachelors Social Worker, or licensed Master professional in a related Mental Health discipline. Must maintain Michigan licensure.